Dr. Abdul Kalam, known as the ‘missile man’ of India, passed away in Shillong on 27th July 2015 – Monday evening after he collapsed while delivering a lecture at the IIM(Indian Institute of Management)-Shillong . Five minutes after giving the lecture, he collapsed and was immediately taken to Bethany Hospital. He was confirmed dead due to heart failure .
Here are some amazing facts of his life, which are largely unknown to the public:
1. In order to support his father, Kalam started working at an early age. Every day after the school, Kalam used to distribute newspaper to make some money that would help his family.
2. Kalam preferred to have south Indian food, particularly ‘idlis’.
3. Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam is the First Scientist and unmarried person to become the President of India.
4. He was awarded twice for the MTV Youth Icon of the year award in 2003 and 2006.
5. A Bollywood Film titled “I Am Kalam” has been Released in 2011. This Film is motivated by the Life of APJ Abdul Kalam and his strong desire to Learn.
6. President Kalam was used to sign his own thank you cards with a short handwritten message and personalised with his signature.
7. His father, a humble boat owner, Jainulabdeen, became a religious Muslim and a near friend of the Rameswaran temple priest.
8. Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, is an Indian scientist who is popularly known as the Missile Man of India for his work on the development of with ballistic missiles and launch vehicle technology.
9. Kalam used to get up at 4 am to go for his maths class which was taught by a teacher who took only five students in the whole session and his teacher laid a condition to have bath before coming to class.
10. Kalam wrote much poetry in Tamil and fond of playing the veenai, a South Indian string instrument.
11. Mathematics and Physics were the Kalam favorite subjects and later, he took up aerospace engineering later in life.
12. An interesting fact about APJ Abdul Kalam is that though he being a Muslim, Kalam was a pure vegetarian.
13. Abdul Kalam refused to sit on the President chair during special events which was arranged for him because the chair was bigger in size than the other chairs!
14. Several books written by late former President of India – Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam – ‘Guiding Souls’ , ‘Inspiring Thoughts’,’Wings on Fire’,’Mission India’, ‘The Luminous Sparks’,”Children ask Kalam’ and these books have been translated into several Indian languages.